It’s hard to believe that we’re already approaching the end of 2018. Don’t you feel like it just began? I sure do. I think as we get older, the years fly by quicker and quicker. Something I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older is to do the things that I want to do. Travel, learn, work hard and achieve things. The only way to do those things is by taking action. Human beings didn’t land on the moon by just dreaming about it, huh? No, it took a lot of planning, experimenting, and eventually, boarding a spaceship and getting there.
My outlook on life has changed as I’ve gained more and more years and experience in my life. I’ve come to realize that my life is completely, 100% up to me. No one else. That goes for you too. Your life is 100% up to. Up to the choices you have and the decisions you make. So…without further ado, have you ever thought about becoming a TEFL teacher? If so, why not pull the trigger and go for it? Now is all we have and if you don’t do it now, when will you?
In a year?
In 5 years?
In 10 years?
Hmm…It’s been my experience that when I put make those future plans, they don’t really ever turn out the way I planned them in my mind. That’s why I’m writing here today, giving you some seriously valid reasons why 2018 is the year for you to finally become a TEFL teacher.
We’ve got just over 3 months left in the year. Make them the most memorable 3 months yet. (Side note: I began my TEFL certification in November of 2014, and completed it by the end of 2014, too…so I know you can do it!)
Here are 5 reasons I think you should consider getting your TEFL certification in 2018.
1. Start your career! What’s a better reason than this? If you want to be a TEFL teacher, you have to start somewhere and at some point! It’s not like you can dream about it and then one day you magically become one. No. Things don’t happen like that. You’ve got to put in the necessary work. You have to start somewhere. Start now.
If you complete your certification before the end of 2018, then you’ll have a way higher chance of having a teaching job secured by the start of the new year. Doesn’t that sound nice? Starting 2019 with a job in place and beginning this amazing new chapter of your life in a part of the world you always dreamt of.
2. It’s becoming harder and harder to find a job abroad without it. Let’s face it: young backpackers have been around for years and years and years. It’s almost like a rite of passage: finish some sort of mandatory schooling and then travel around the world (either with a pal or solo) with a backpack full of necessities for a year or so. Along the way, you may find a place that feels like home to you and you decide you want to stay there a bit longer. This is when people typically need to start having some sort of income, and many travelers, turn the way of teaching. As the years go on, institutions are requiring more and more certifications. It’s pretty rare, nowadays, that you’ll be hired without proving some sort of teaching background. So a TEFL certificate will definitely be beneficial in this situation.
3. English teachers are more and more in demand each year. As globalization becomes more and more real, English is becoming more and more prevalent around the world. Nowadays, you can go just about anywhere in the world (almost) and you’ll find someone who speaks English. So, what does this mean for teachers? It means that English classes are becoming more readily available in public schools and in private language institutions. English teachers are needed! That being said, there are currently available jobs all over the world that need to be filled. Think about traveling to new places while making some money at the same time. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
4. It will help you build confidence before traveling abroad, or doing almost anything else, for that matter. My TEFL certification course allowed me to grow into a more responsible, more confident and more poised person. By learning the necessary skills in order to be a successful teacher, I became more confident in myself. Furthermore, it granted me much more awareness of the world around me. I became more of an adult through the completion of my program.
5. Because RIGHT NOW is the only thing we really have, so if you’ve been thinking about this for a long time, seize this day! I began thinking about this career choice when I was in high school. Obviously, at that point in time, it was simply unrealistic of me to think I could do it right then. However, the thought never left me. It resided in me throughout college, and then finally, once I was finished with my schooling, I did it. So, if you’re at a point in your life where the road is forked and you have multiple ways to go, think hard and long about what it is this life has set out for you. If you think that answer is to travel the world and teach people from every continent and every walk of life, I seriously encourage you to sign up for a certification course. It is my opinion, that otherwise, you will regret not doing it.
Keep in mind that a TEFL certification course will be a lot of work. It will require a good deal of your time and a great deal of effort. Some things that you may be used to in your life will have to take a back seat for a little while. But, it will be worth it. I promise that. Get the most of the rest of YOUR 2018 and make it a year you’ll never forget.
If you have any questions about what the process is like or what options you have, please feel free to comment on this post. I would love to help any of you on this journey.